Parents in the Know is a 10-week, professionally facilitated education and group support program for parents of teens. Some parents come to learn more about adolescent development and others come with more specific concerns such as their teen’s mental health, lack of motivation, substance use, abusive or aggressive actions and their defiant/rebellious attitude. Whatever brings parents to group, parents often tell us that the support from others and information on community resources helps them feel less alone and better prepared to parent their teen. This is all provided in a non-judgmental group setting.
Many parents report better relationships with their youth as a result of attending the program. Parents may also experience:
- Increased confidence as a parent
- Anger management skills and a better ability to defuse conflict
- Better relationships with spouse and past partners
- Knowledge of issues affecting their child’s lives
- Increased ability to advocate on behalf of themselves and their families
- Compassion for other families
- Decreased isolation and greater friendship
- Access to community resources
- New coping and communication skills
- Increased ability to address self-care
Click here to download a PDF of our Comox Valley Resource Guide– Helpful Community and Online Resources for Families
To register, please contact:
Comox Valley – Parenting Programs Coordinator Dayna Brentnall – email@example.com – 250-338-7141.
Once program participation is confirmed by the Program Coordinator, the membership form can be printed, completed and brought to the first session. BGCCVI Membership ($24.00 annually) is required for participation in this program. Please note that the fee can be waived based on need.
Parents in the Know acknowledges the financial support of the province of British Columbia, and is proud to be the recipient of United Way Central & Northern Vancouver Island funding for programs in 2017/2018. Program Resource Materials Fee- $20.00. Please note that this fee can be waived based on need.