Parents in the Know is a 10-week, professionally facilitated education and group support program for parents of teens. Some parents come to learn more about adolescent development and others come with more specific concerns such as their teen’s mental health, lack of motivation, substance use, abusive or aggressive actions and their defiant/rebellious attitude. Whatever brings parents to group, parents often tell us that the support from others and information on community resources helps them feel less alone and better prepared to parent their teen. This is all provided in a non-judgmental group setting.
- Many parents report better relationships with their youth as a result of attending the program. Parents may also experience:
- Increased confidence as a parent
- Anger management skills and a better ability to defuse conflict
- Better relationships with spouse and past partners
- Knowledge of issues affecting their child’s lives
- Increased ability to advocate on behalf of themselves and their families
- Compassion for other families
- Decreased isolation and greater friendship
- Access to community resources
- New coping and communication skills
- Increased ability to address self-care
Comox Valley – Parenting Programs Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org – 250-338-7141.
BGCCVI Membership ($24.00 annually) is required for participation in this program. Program Resource Materials Fee- $20.00. Please note that this fee can be waived based on need.