Professionally facilitated education and group support program for parents who are experiencing challenges while parenting a teen. Parents come to group with a wide range of concerns. Most commonly, parents worry about their teen’s mental health, lack of motivation, substance use, abusive or aggressive actions and their defiant/rebellious attitude. Many parents reaching out for support often feel guilty, blamed by others, isolated, and are not sure what to do. Parents Together can help address these feelings parents often begin to feel less alone and more confident in their parenting. This is all provided in a confidential, non-judgemental group setting.
Many parents report better relationships with their youth as a result of attending the program. Parents may also experience:
- Increased confidence as a parent
- Anger management skills and a better ability to defuse conflict
- Better relationships with spouse and past partners
- Knowledge of issues affecting their child’s lives
- Increased ability to advocate on behalf of themselves and their families
- Compassion for other families
- Decreased isolation and greater friendship
- Access to community resources
- New coping and communication skills
- Increased ability to address self-care
Helpful community and online resources for families:
Parents Together is an ongoing group that meets weekly. For registration and program information please contact:
Nanaimo – Cheryl Redford- email@example.com -250- 754-9661
Comox Valley – Dayna Brentnall- firstname.lastname@example.org – 250-338-7141.
Once program participation is confirmed by the Program Facilitator, the membership form can be printed, completed and brought to the first session. BGCCVI Membership ($24.00 annually) is required for participation in this program. Please note that the fee can be waived based on need.
Parents Together is generously funded by the Ministry of Children & Family Development. Program Resource Materials Fee- $20.00. Please note that this fee can be waived based on need.