This position requires a comprehensive knowledge of school aged child development, age appropriate program planning and behavior management theory. This position requires flexibility in meeting a variety of program needs in order to create and maintain a positive, fun, interactive, safe environment. It is expected that the Program Leader will function as a compatible member of a collaborative team and will work with minimal supervision.
Senior Program Leader – Role responsibilities are the same as Program Leader however additional, specific, responsibilities are assigned basis their experience and areas of expertise.
Duties and responsibilities
Program Planning and Implementation:
- Assists with the design, implementation, and evaluation of a program schedule that includes age appropriate activities for program participants that include all elements of BGCCVI Core Programming standards.
- Ensure children are actively supervised at all times.
- Aware of outstanding issues/needs of program participants and corresponding care plans. Using a team approach Program leaders will work together to implement identified care plan goals and strategies to ensure consistent practice. When funding is available, a Program leader will be designated as a Supported Child Development (SCD) staff. They will work closely with other program staff to support the needs of the child and the group. In order to be inclusive, it is important that the SCD is not working in isolation.
- All staff will observe and provide feedback to the child’s team (Parent/Caregivers, BGCCVI staff, and Child Development Centre) on progress on goals and existing strategies and provide input towards any new areas of focus.
- Work as a key member of an integrated staff team that consistently strives for inclusion, excellence and effective conflict resolution
- Responsible for maintaining effective relationships with parents/caregivers and other stakeholders
- Administers first aid and medication in accordance with Club policy and procedures and licensing regulations.
- Participate in special promotional activities, programs, or events as required by BGCCVI.
- Ensure the safety of the participants and staff at all times by maintaining the appropriate adult to child ratio, conducting safety drills and establishing proper supervision of children and youth
- Complete bi-weekly timesheets
- Attend agency staff meetings and community meetings as required
- Ensure the program standards, guidelines, and policies of the Boys and Girls Club are maintained and Community Care Facility Licensing requirements are met
- Document and report all incidents of suspected child abuse to the Ministry for Children and Family Development
- Reports all incidents and injuries via the online Incident and Injury Reporting form.
- For Licensing identified critical incidents a Community Care Licensing Officer and Director of Childcare and Early Learning must be notified within 24 hours.
- Ensures that all required documentation is accurate and complete (daily attendance, Club log book, communication book, etc.)
- Maintain accurate records of enrollment, attendance, pick-up and sign out documents
Human Resource Management:
- Provide feedback for the evaluation of the work of volunteers/practicum students that are assisting with the delivery of the Club programs
- Engage in a positive team atmosphere
- Responsible for all program funds assigned to them including reconciliation (i.e. handing in receipts/change)
- Ensure Ez-Child Track information is inputted daily
- Responsible for checking that any equipment or facilities used to help facilitate the delivery of the program plan are safe, in good working order, and free of risk
- Ensure that the facility is kept clean and daily/weekly/monthly duties are completed as assigned by your supervisor.
- Follow appropriate lock-up procedures at the conclusion of your shift
- Report all concerns you may note in the facility to the Licensed Program Supervisor immediately
- Completes a pre and post trip van inspection, in accordance with the Motor Vehicles Act (i.e. CVI, Fire Extinguishers). Van inspection must be conducted by employee with appropriate class license.
- Ensure car seats are properly installed and seatbelts are fastened correctly. Ensures children who require car seats are identified and that car seats are in good working condition.
- Report all safety concerns regarding a van to the Licensed Program Supervisor immediately
- Vans are cleaned out daily and washed/vacuumed regularly to present a positive BGCCVI image.
- Ensure vans are driven, maintained and inspected in accordance with the Motor Vehicles Act.
- Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of new trends in activities programming
- Maintains the necessary qualifications of the position
- Participates in self-evaluation and goal setting
- Participates in courses and workshops as approved by Licensed Program Supervisor
All other duties as assigned by the designated Licensed Program Supervisor.
- Must have completed 20 hours courses and/or training focusing on Child Development, Guidance, Health and Safety or Nutrition.
- Post-Secondary training in Child and Youth Care, Recreation or related field or equivalent education and/or experience preferred
- Direct program delivery experience with demonstrated working knowledge of child care programs is preferred
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Valid Class IV Driver’s License and Driver’s Abstract (within 3 months of employment)
- Valid First Aid Certificate with CPR (Approved by Community Care Licensing Regulations)
- Knowledge of school aged child development, age appropriate program planning and behavior management theory
- Knowledge of Community Care Facility Licensing Regulations
- Knowledge of planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating age appropriate social, recreational and outdoor activities, for school-aged children and youth, that are appropriate to achieving the Mission and Vision of the Club
- Knowledge of unique needs of their club’s individual community with regards to cultural diversity and challenged populations
- Assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of programs, and activities
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with program staff, volunteers, parents and school personnel
- Positive, supportive and cooperative role model to school aged children and youth
- Independent, proactive thinker
- The individual may also need to pay close attention to physical and emotional challenges of children and youth.
- The ability to function independently, under pressure, while managing emergency situations is an ongoing expectation of this position.
This position will be exposed to a high level of noise and distractions from children. Direct delivery may
include moderate physical activity involving walking, standing, bending and lifting children.
- Program Leader – none
- Senior Program Leader – none
Approved by: Sarah Foster – Director of Childcare and Early Learning
Date approved: August, 2019
Reviewed: Liz Harper – Director of HR
SEND COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO KLOVE@BGCCVI.COM